My new goal is 100 bike rides on the river and lake this summer 🚴 and to discover 100 new things along the way.
Have you taken the Kolbe A Index? If not, I highly suggest you check it out.
I took it for the first time in 2008. It helps you identify your natural strengths so you can build your days around them and make better decisions.
5-3-8-4 is my MO.
The 8 is for QUICK START.
I am a blazing fast starter.
I focus on snagging and bagging, shaking the trees, hunting for new opportunities and taking quick action.
I need to give myself deadlines to stay in the flow and get stuff done.
My best work is done when I’m spontaneous and take risks.
I love to go from IDEA to IMPLEMENTATION – FAST!
How about you?
Do you know yourself well enough to set up your best day possible? If not, maybe you should check out Kolbe A.
Like. Right NOW!
Good question to ask yourself, right? I’m mapping it all out this weekend.
Based on what I’ve learned, it all comes down to building structure to cut out the stuff, increasing the momentum, establishing new habits and focusing on your most valuable resources: time, energy and creativity.
Simple? You bet.
Why so difficult to follow through then?
Lack of confidence? Lack of commitment? Lack of time? Lack of priority?
Actually, I don’t want to think about excuses.
Others may not follow through, but not you. Not me. Not up in here.
Sit down. Start now. Get it done. Ship it. Publish it. Send the email. Make the call. Pitch the idea. Get the check.
Beast the resistance. Do the work. Make it happen.
I’ve become obsessed with the psychology and science of habits and daily rituals.
Over the last few weeks I’ve been going back and re-reading these habit creating resources:
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
- The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It
- Zen Habits by Leo Baubata
- Daily Rituals: How Artists Work – Tim Ferriss wrote an awesome blog post about Daily Rituals on the Four Hour Work Week Blog.
- Dan Kennedy’s Process for Predicting Where You Will Be At the End of 2014
- The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play
- Day Sculpting: A 90 day program my friend Paul Hoffman created to help build daily success habits and rituals. I highly recommend you check it out for 90 days. This course helped me get back on the right track with my goals, habits, and daily rituals. There is a massive amount of value in the daily meditations and habit building methods.
These resources are full of strategies and techniques to help you design your life around habits.
What habit building resources do you recommend?
We had an amazing opportunity to visit the downtown project in Las Vegas and interview Tony Hsieh at his apartment. Here’s a photo of the downtown area and the new Zappos headquarters. Here’s more info on the downtown project.
Here’s another room.
Here’s the oxygen room.
Tony’s favorite animal is a llama so the city plans just happen to be…
Here’s the interview with Tony.
The Fashion Alley show.